Tuesday, January 28, 2014

DAY 2 OF THE CHALLENGE:

2.     RISKS
Risks are things that might make us feel fearful, but we go ahead and do them anyway.  You become stronger when you realize you can handle fearful or risky situations without becoming overwhelmed.  A risk may include telling someone how you feel about them or calling the adoptive family you have an open adoption with.  Did you take any risks today? How did you feel when you took them?  How did things turn out?

I took no risks today other than to brave the cold to run across the street for lunch.

I did however recently pass up a chance to take a big risk and leave my current employment to effectively go out on my own. But I said no. I said no because the timing was bad. I said no because I need steady income, I said no because I am a wimp.

I have tried and accomplished many things in my life but I chickened out. Or, as some may say, I just wasn't ready to take the risk. It was really hard for me to turn it down because I am not very content in my current position. "Not content" is an understatement. I am miserable in my current position. My boss treats me like a dumb young kid because when he hired me I was a dumb young kid. But I have improved, developed my own style, succeeded, made a lot of money for the firm, and have successfully dealt with all kinds of different  people, but I was too scared to risk my families well being and stability to pursue my dream. I guess the upside is that I can always change my mind later and go out on my own. I may not have the generous offer I was given, but nothing can stop me from hanging out my own shingle.

Well, I don't think the blog was suppose to be about risk I didn't take, but there it is. I guess in my mind, mistreatment is ranked less scary than financial insecurity. And have no doubt, this ongoing 2nd adoption had a lot to do with my decision to stay where I am at. How could I throw my family into financial insecurity along with an additional child? I want to give my children everything I can. If that means I sacrifice my self-esteem for them, then I guess that's what it takes.

I wont really sacrifice my self-esteem, but I'll keep taking the punches. One day, I will leave because like a famous strong minded woman once said "Nobody wants to see me down like I wants to see me up!" -MB- So my boss can keep insulting my intelligence, making errors in my work where there aren't any, showing me that he has complete and utter lack in faith in someone he pays, and so on. But I'll never be down. For every insult or harsh word he utters to me, I'll compliment myself twice!

Someday, I'll be my own boss, I'll have the two children I dream of, and someday I'll learn to be content with what I have and enjoy it all. Because as another famous person said, "Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.".

Good Luck,

M.S. Simons



 

1 comment:

  1. You're not a wimp. You're just a planner. It was probably smart to recognize your comfort zone... It makes you a good mom to know how far you can stretch before you're uncomfortable - because if you're uncomfortable with where you are it starts to effect your relationship with your kids.

    ReplyDelete